Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Giver fishbowl

Have you ever read that book called The Giver? If you have, good for you. If you haven't, then too bad 'cause I won't tell what happens. In fact I've only read the first 5 chapters but anyways, we've been reading this (that -->) book and today in Humanities class we did a fishbowl about the topics from this book. They were Stirring/Pills and Releasing. We had questions like: What are stirrings? Why don’t the people want to have stirrings? What’s the pill, and what does it do?
Do people have any privacy with their thoughts/dreams? What would the consequences be if somebody doesn't take the pills daily? How do they release people? What is releasing? What happens to released people? How would the community react if they knew what releasing was?
Does anyone die in the community?


During the fishbowl discussion I wasn't able to answer the questions about the stirrings because I was trying to find an evidence from the book for the discussion and when I finally did, I realized we just moved to the other topic so I'm going to answer the questions about stirrings now. In my oppinions, the stirrings are the feelings of puberty when you'd start get crushes on other girls/boys and then you'd want to marry her/him and have own babies but for some reason, the people in the community don't want to have those feelings and so they are forced to take these pills to stop the stirrings. The pills somehow stops the stirrings and every peson had to take these pills from since they felt the stirrings until they are very old. If you forget to take the pills the stirrings would come back and I'm not sure but the other citizen's wouldn't agree that and he would get a punishment.
Then during the second topic in the fishbowl discussion, I went in immediately (because the teacher forced me to) and shared pretty much all my thinking.

No comments: